Detroit, MI 48202
SEMINAR ANNOUNCEMENTNovember 19th, 2012 10:30am Purdy Kresge Library Room 110
Activity Introduction - Office of Naval Research Global-Asia
Dr. Kenji Uchino
Office of Naval Research Global-Asia
The activities of Office of Naval Research, Global-Asia will be introduced.
MISSION: In building and fostering international connections, ONR Global propels the execution of long-range strategic efforts that address the future needs of the naval fleet and forces and international partners.
INTERNATIONAL AMBASSADORS: ONRG's associate directors promote collaboration with international scientists while its science advisors identify fleet/force needs and implement technology solutions. Both serve as the Chief of Naval Research's science ambassadors abroad.
SPONSORED PROGRAMS: ONRG sponsors programs − exchange visits, conferences and workshops, seed funding -- that foster collaboration between Navy personnel, scientists and technologists around the world:
- Visiting Scientists Program
- Conference Support Program
- NICOP Program
Visiting Scientist Program (VSP)
The Office of Naval Research Global (ONR Global) Visiting Scientist Program (VSP) supports short-term visits of international scientists for the following purposes:
- Planning cooperative science and technology (S&T) programs with researchers in the Naval Research Enterprise (NRE);
- Identifying and discussing outstanding S&T issues in areas of NRE interest and developing long-term relationships; and,
- Maintaining ONRG connectivity with the international scientific community in the focus areas of the “Naval S&T Strategic Plan.”
Conference Support Program (CSP)
The ONR Global Conference Support Program (CSP) provides financial support for international workshops and/or conferences in order to achieve specific goals, listed below:
- Planning cooperative science and technology (S&T) programs with researchers in the Naval Research Enterprise (NRE)
- Identifying and discussing outstanding S&T issues in areas of DoN interest;
- Developing long term relationships between the Department of the Navy and international science and technology sponsors; and,
- Maintaining ONRG connectivity with the international scientific community in the focus areas outlined in the Naval Science & Technology Strategic Plan.
Naval International Cooperative Opportunities in Science & Technology Program (NICOP)
The NICOP is a mechanism to encourage international science and technology (S&T) cooperation in areas of interest to the Naval Research Enterprise (NRE) by providing seed funding when ONR Headquarters or other organizations within the NRE commit to out-year program funding.
- Supports transformational initiatives of the NRE
- Benefits from emerging international S&T
- Accelerates the introduction of new S&T into the NRE
- Research topic should be “fundamental”, not directly related with the final “weapon” or “fleet/forces”.