Detroit, MI 48201
The Hilberry Theatre closes its 49th season with George Bernard Shaw’s classic satire, Major Barbara, opening Friday, April 6, 2012. University of Michigan-Flint theatre professor Carolyn Gillespie directs this sparkling comedy, which runs in rotating repertory at the Hilberry with Summer and Smoke until May 5, 2012. Tickets are $12-$30 and are available by calling the Hilberry Theatre Box Office at (313) 577-2972, online at Hilberry.com, or by visiting the box office at 4743 Cass Avenue on the corner of Hancock.
In this timely comedy, a millionaire armaments dealer loves money, but his inspired daughter, Barbara, is a devout Major in the Salvation Army who sees her father as just another soul to save. Yet when the Salvation Army needs funds, the father triumphantly saves the day. George Bernard Shaw’s satirical comedy proves as relevant as ever amidst the current political conversations playing out between the wealthiest 1% of Americans and the remaining 99% across the country.
Wednesday 2 p.m. April 11 (Postshow Talkback)
Thursday 8 p.m. April 12 (Preshow Discussion), 26, May 3
Friday 8 p.m. April 6 (Opening Night), 13, 27, May 4
Saturday 2 p.m. April 28, May 5
Saturday 8 p.m. April 7, 14, 28, May 5