CANCELED - GPPD Writing Research Statements
This event is in the past.
A strong research statement is a key component of a successful job search in academia or at other research-intensive institutions. In this seminar, we will learn what a research statement is, what components it should contain, how long it should be, the importance of good writing and background research, and what constitutes a winning research statement. This will be a hands-on seminar, with writing exercises and the opportunity to compare research statements written by others.
Session leader: Peter Hoffmann, professor of physics
Target audience: PhD students and postdocs
After attending this GPPD, attendees will be able to:
- Explain the important role of research statements in job applications.
- Identify the essential components of a research statement.
- Apply professional writing techniques.
- Compose strong professional research statements.
- Critically examine and compare research statements to understand how they may be evaluated by potential reviewers.