Green Street Bike Tour
This event is in the past.
RSVP is closed.
Have you ever wondered about what type of sustainable projects are happening on and around campus? The Green Steet Bike Tour is your chance to join a guided tour to see it all in action!
This 6.7 mile bike ride is a collaboration between Wayne State's Office of Campus Sustainability and the Michigan Sierra Club. Below is a look at the itinerary for the bike ride that takes off from the Student Center on Saturday, October 9th at 1:00PM:
- Welcome @ Wayne State Student Center
- Planetarium Show
- Michigan Science Center- Bioswale
- Charles H. Wright Museum- Permeable Pavers
Fourteen East Coffee Shop- Compost Program Partner and home to Buisness School Rain Garden
Green Garage- sustainability focused co-working space
Bryant Vermont Park/Spread Art
Back to Student Center
We encourage everyone to ride with a helmet and obey biking traffic laws for the duration of the ride. If you do not have a bike, receive a free Mogo bike pass here if you are a Wayne State student, or faculty staff member: https://mogodetroit.org/members/partnerplans/wayne-state-university. More information on this event will be sent to your email upon RSVP. If you have any questions about the event, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
You are required to submit a Campus Daily Screener as we will be entering a campus building. The form is linked here: https://forms.wayne.edu/guest-screening
General rules for a successful group ride:
- Don’t cross tires with the person in front of you
- Ride in a predictable straight line
- If you move left/right, glance back first
- If you pass a rider, say “on your left” or “on your right”
- Don’t ride too close to the curb
- Don’t ride too close to parked cars; someone may open the door
- Spaces are dangerous because drivers can’t tell it’s a group
- Stay within about 6 feet of riders in front of you
- Bunch up when stopped at traffic signals; that helps everyone get through quickly
- If you drop something or something falls off your bike, don’t just stop; slow down, look behind you, circle back
- Generally, stay to the right as ride support might pass on the left
Helpful Tips and Voice signals:
- Say “slowing” or “stopping” and put your arm down with palm facing back
- Say “left turn” or “right turn” and put your arm straight out pointing in the direction of the turn
- If a car is coming from the front:
- Say “Car up” and pass it back through the group
- If a car is coming from the back:
- Say “Car Back” and pass it up through the group
- Say “hole” and point to the hole
- Say “glass” and point to the glass
- Say “jogger up”
Green Street 2021:
Green Street is Wayne State University’s main celebration of Sustainability in Higher Education.
Hosted by the Office of Campus Sustainability, Green Street happens in October and it is a month of activities and curated conversations between disciplines and communities about environmental challenges, environmental science, environmental justice, the environmental humanities, and more.
This year's focus is on environmental justice and sustainability. Our program includes online talks by a local meteorologist, state of Michigan policymakers, scholars, panels, and outdoor activities to raise awareness about environmental justice and sustainability.
The events are open and free to the greater Detroit and Wayne State community.