Healing Between the Lines: Equi-D, Reimagining a Healthy Detroit Together
This event is in the past.
RSVP is closed.
Healing Between the Lines presents Equi-D Re-imagining a Healthy Detroit Together
Saturday, June 19 from 9 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Join medical students and community partners in this symposium which is the culmination of a School of Medicine Healing Between the Lines program offered January – June 2021.
Facing continued health inequities within the Detroit community, this program has allowed students to collaborate with government and community partners to reimagine health care and the role of the physician leader.
Healing Between the Lines (HBL) is a community led training program aimed to educate medical trainees on the impact of structural racism on the health of the community through the lens of Redlining and how to advocate along-side the community to amplify the their voices for change. Over the past 5 months, medical students and physicians have worked along side community activists, organizers, and grassroot organizations to reimagine systems that are built with the health of Detroit at their core. Medical students, physicians, and partners formed 4 cohorts, known as Justice circles and identified 4 priority areas for policy-based interventions:
- Eastside Community Network – Air Pollution justice
- Community Development Advocates of Detroit, Brilliant Detroit, HOPE Village Revitalization – Transportation Access justice
- FORCE Detroit – Carceral inmate justice
- We the People Michigan – Sexual & reproductive health education justice
These policy recommendations will be presented to stakeholders and decision-makers at the symposium.
Participation in this symposium will provide insight into root causes behind health conditions and disparties prevalent in Detroit populations and present ways to advocate for change that creates real community impact.
Event highlights include:
- A high-level curriculum overview with an introduction to community and government partners and the student cohort
- A video recap of Healing Between the Lines featuring program partners and community members”
- Presentations by student and community partner…” on the themes of “environmental justice, criminal justice, reproductive health, and transportation
- Celebration and acknowledgement of the collaboration required to create health equity and a just system to receive care as Detroiters
- A special dance performance by House of Jit
Keynote speaker Donna Givens Davidson, a native Detroiter, is president and CEO of the Eastside Community Network in Detroit.
Demonstrate your interest in advocacy for Detroit’s health by participating!
Visit Healing Between the Lines at https://spark.adobe.com/page/VmKiivRIt8SGp/
Healing Between the Lines program has been generously funded through support from the AAMC Next Grant, School of Medicine Alumni Association and Office of Government and Community Relations.